First Viewpoint

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Opera: it is awesome!

I still am an avid Firefox user, but boy oh boy how could I have not tried Opera before. I am getting to like it very much and use it more and more. Although you cannot add extensions to it like Firefox but still it is quite complete.

  • minimize to tray: (Firefox - MinimizeToTray extension)(Opera - Ctrl+H or use TrayIt)
  • Bookmarks toolbar: (Firefox - Bookmarks toolbar)(Opera - Personal Toolbar)
  • Keyword search off address bar: (Firefox - SerachWords extension)(Opera - built in)
  • ....

Some great features are:
  • the amazing fast backward and fast forward buttons,
  • an integrated sidebar with a lot of features and a lot of flexibility in its view styles,
  • excellent tab browsing,
  • unique navigation bar,
  • easily accessible and useful view modes (Author, user),
  • different view modes for the bookmarks,
  • comprehensive site/webpage information,
  • Widgets (bittorrent, ...)
  • ...
Two very annoying shortcomings:
  • Search doesn't keep a list of previous entries --> no search history
  • Google suggest is not available (unless of course, I literally visit the Google suggest website) and I haven't figured out if I can fix this.

I still have some problems when using encrypted sites also blogger (text wrapping seems not want to work and it does not have automatic spell checker) ... But most problems that occur are due to bad browser specific webpage designs not Opera. I will keep on using it as much as I can.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home